Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Why bother?

Tonight I fixed a new recipe for dinner. The fact that I was cooking at all is an event all its own these days. I thought it would be a kid-friendly meal, chicken triangles. Mason had fun helping me mix chicken with cream cheese and ranch dressing mix, and then we spooned the mixture onto crescent rolls to bake in triangles. None of my kids liked it, Charlotte actually gagged a little. Rob & I thought it was pretty good, but I found myself thinking "why bother?" Why did I go to the trouble of cooking a nice dinner for everyone when I ended up making toast, once again?

I guess that's not a very innovative attitude. I am constantly telling my kids to try new things (usually some sort of vegetable), and I should lead by example. Tomorrow night I'll feed the kids fish sticks while Rob & I eat leftover chicken triangles. Thursday we'll probably have spaghetti. Perhaps this weekend I'll feel motivated once again to look through cookbooks to see if I can find the next great crowd pleaser for my family, which, other than Rob, is not an easy crowd.

Today's latte is keep trying. The evening wasn't a total loss, Mason & I had 15 minutes of quality time preparing the meal, and Rob & I did like it enough to eat the leftovers.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Amy -- You are amazing and are right on target! As you know, I love to cook and even loved it when the only thing I ever seemed to make that you and Beth enjoyed as kids was some version of Hamburger Helper. But I have kept trying, and finally the successes seem to outweigh the failures. So I definitely encourage you to do the same. (Actually, I think those chicken triangles sound really yummy)! Love you much, Mom

Heidi said...

Amy,

This is a week late, but I give you so much credit for trying to do something just "for the kids." I would never do that - I keep saying some day I'll do it, but I just don't have the energy to go out of my way for them. . . as they say, "they eat what we eat." If they don't like it, so be it. I love that as a mom, you go out on a limb like this - don't give up, it sets you above the rest of us! You seriously are a super mom in my opinion.

Unknown said...

If it's any consolation, Potus is also a tough audience. My latest attempt to appease His Highness (whom I now have a grumbling suspicion is more than a little bit Yorkie...) is cans of mackeral in tomoto sauce, which I mix with his kibble. Yesterday he picked at the fish and then looked up at me as if to say, "What's going on here? There's some DOGFOOD in this."

Did The Chills arrive?