Friday, December 24, 2010

A Traditional Latte

It's Christmas Eve, that means that we're getting ready for our traditional Christmas Eve bowling outing. Technically this is only the second year that we've gone, but it's a tradition in the making. The kids will also get to open their traditional Christmas Eve gifts tonight - pajamas, a book, and a new ornament. With 3 kids each getting a new ornament each year, I'm going to need a second Christmas tree soon. Tomorrow I will break out my fine china for the annual Christmas brunch, a sausage, egg, cheese casserole with fruit and ham on the side. Grandparents, Aunts, and possibly great-grandparents will join us for that portion of the day. It's the one time of the year that I use the fine china. And one of the few times that I cook if the truth be told.

These are all traditions that I have created and for my little family. None of my kids actually eat the brunch casserole that I make each year, and Mason would rather pick the gift under the tree of his choosing to open instead of pajamas on Christmas Eve. My dishes have to all be washed by hand. Still, I'm hoping that these traditions will continue. Maybe one day my kids will start to like my holiday food. It's possible that they will grow up with a different view of our holiday family traditions than mine, and that's alright. I'm trying to be flexible (it's not always easy - but that's another story).

For now, I'll just say - traditional or not - enjoy your holidays! I thrive on the chaos of Christmas, and love that it's an over-the-top kind of day for us. Some people enjoy a quiet day or a nice vacation from it all. Now I'm off to find an outfit that goes well with bowling shoes!

1 comment:

Subhash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.