Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Goodbye Latte

So I don't actually write down that many entries anymore, but I compose them in my head all the time.  For the last month I've been thinking about writing a goodbye latte.  We have good friends, the parents of some of Mason's good friends, who moved to California last month.  I'm excited for them and their new adventure, but it was sad to see them go.  So that's a goodbye that is no fun, but we've already planned a holiday trip out west.

Another latte that I've started to work on in my head is my big 4-0 latte, less than a month away now.  In my list of great things about my life, I was all set to include my great job with the most understanding, flexible, and fun boss anyone could ask for.  Seriously, I once sent him as email that I would be late because my pedicure appointment took longer than I thought.  He laughed at me, and said that in 40 years he had never heard that excuse.

But then everything changed, I showed up for work and the alarm was still set which should have been a red flag.  I never got to say a goodbye that he heard.  A whole community of his friends, family, and coworkers are trying to figure out how to say goodbye and how to live without the joy and wisdom that this man brought to all he met.  He lived a very full life in his 72 years, but he wasn't done.  Now I'm trying to hold it all together both personally and professionally.  I burst into tears last Friday when the cashier at Whole Foods asked if I was having a good day.  Tomorrow I will return to the task of calling work associates to give them the sad and shocking news.  So this is a goodbye latte to a great man who made fun of my latte habit.  It's a goodbye I wasn't ready to say.

Give a big hug to your loved ones, call an old friend you've been too busy to meet for lunch.  Plan a trip to see friends who moved across the country.  You could even simply meet a friend for a latte.

No comments: