Friday, August 9, 2013

A Decorative Latte

Sometimes, a few new throw pillows is all it takes to make me feel really happy.  4 new pillows on my bed just changed the look of the entire room.  Of course, I then need to scatter the old pillows through out the house to give the appearance that we really needed this new purchase.  Our office has a rarely used twin bed that displays 8 pillows.  Organizing the beds makes me feel like I have organized my day.  As summer vacation draws to a close, I need all of the organizing help I can get.

School starts on Monday.  Unlike the last 3 years when we have walked all 3 of our kids less than a quarter mile around the corner to school, I feel like I will be spending my days in carpool line getting the girls to the temporary location of the elementary school and my son to middle school across town.  I am not alone in this logistical craziness.  I am working on carpool schedules and checking school bus routes.  We are also stocking up on school supplies and new shoes.  We are checking with friends about classes and teachers.  Everyone is excited and nervous, and a little sad to see the end of another summer which was so much fun even if it seemed to rain each and every day.  We are getting organized for another school year and all of its excitement and challenges.

I expect that we will stay organized until next Thursday.  By then everyone will be exhausted and grumpy.  Mornings will get a little busier as we do less each night to prep for the next day.  I will rally over the weekend to make sure we are ready for week 2, and we will fall into a pattern for the year.  I will say "hurry up" way too much, and I will be late for a few things (not school or gymnastics).  If I find a job, that will bring a new set of challenges.  I will exercise, cook, and clean more than I did over the summer, and I will find lots to worry about.  For now, I will get ready to embrace life with a 2nd, 4th, and 6th grader.  At least I know that I can look at my organized bed with all of its new throw pillows and smile.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I have a terrible time with transitions, and the end of summer is always a hard one for me. We are in the same boat, going from 2 kids biking to one school, to 1 biking and 2 being driven to different schools. I am counting on Eleanor to keep being a good car sleeper:). MIss you guys and wish we could be there to carpool with you!