Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Funny Latte

"What is something funny that happened today?"  This is my new favorite question du jour to pose to my kids when we sit down to dinner.  Tonight Charlotte answered with something funny that her brother had done, and the ensuing discussion led to an argument free meal for all of us.  I will admit that tonight is the first time I've tried this, but it seems like a good idea.  

My grandfather use to always ask "What did you learn today?" when we sat down to dinner at his house.  I was never sure what to say, but I wish I could still have those discussions with him today.  The tried and true "What's the best thing that happened today?" tends to lead to too much competition with my crew.

My day got a whole lot funnier after dinner when I opened my package from Amazon.  My husband and I are going to a 1940's themed 40 birthday party this weekend and I needed a costume for the event.  I spent about 3 minutes looking on Amazon and I ordered the 1940's GI costume without too much thought.  Can anyone explain why every female adult costume ends up being a sexy version of the character?  Who knew that Amazon carried products from a company called Secret Wishes?  Needless to say, I'm 41 and not a huge fan of working out.  I'm wearing the dress as a shirt with a skirt I found in my closet.  Not a story I would share at the dinner table, but it did lighten my mood for the day.

Try it - ask your kids to tell you about something funny that happened during the day.  As my oldest gets closer to his teenage years, anything that will keep him talking and laughing about his day is a good plan.  We will see what happens that is funny tomorrow - maybe something over a latte with friends in the morning

No comments: