Monday, June 8, 2009

Camp

Camp brings different things to mind for different people. In these days of over-scheduling, it seems that every person and place around is offering some sort of camp. $200 to spend the week building forts, cooking, swimming, etc. Last week I took my kids to the zoo where we saw campers from Zoo Camp. Mason asked me if he could go to Zoo Camp sometime, and I told him that we were having our own private zoo camp as a family.

For me, the word "camp" brings one place to mind, the summer camp I attended as a child, teenager, and counselor. I returned a few times after college for the annual reunion of former attendees, and recently, thanks to Facebook, I have reconnected with many of my childhood camp friends. This year I went to the reunion for the first time in 10 years, and I took both of my daughters. It was amazing to watch Charlotte do many of the things I once did there in a place that is remarkable unchanged in the last 20 years (flush toilets are a nice addiditon since my camper days!). Several of my old friends were also there with their children who will be campers with my kids in the coming years. My baby sister is also a counselor there this summer.

I realize that not all summer camp experiences were like mine. CJL (my old camp) provided a great backdrop to my high school years, and I love that I can now share it with my daughters. So here's my latte today - share an experience from your childhood with your children. It could be a place, an activity, even a favorite recipe.

One side note: I realize that my lattes have been anything but daily, I'm going to try to get back into a routine. Look for more soon!

No comments: