Friday, October 9, 2009

What do you see?

Let me start this post with a story about me and my husband. We first met as co-workers 12 years ago. Not long after we met, we went to a team building meeting and one of the activities was to look at a painting and list what we saw. I saw a clock, Rob saw anguish. It's often good that we have more than one perspective on things. We now have an abstract painting that hangs on our dining room wall. We got it at an arts festival in Denver, and the other night our kids started telling us what they saw in the painting.

Mary Jane saw a rocket, Charlotte saw a lady with "broom brush" feet, and Mason saw a gun. I don't mean that in a violent or disturbed way, he literally sees a gun in the painting. I never noticed that there is a silver outline that looks alot like a gun. Now I see it every time I look at the picture. As Rob says, he is my son. He and I have the same literal perspective on many things. We crave the same sense of order (despite my chaotic house), we both fear change, and we both remember all of the details.

My son and I are so much alike that, at times, it is hard for us to communicate effectively with one another. He is spending the night with a friend tonight, and I miss having the chance to tuck him in - stalling tactics and all. Tonight's latte (or blueberry martini as the case may be) is to pay attention to what your children see. Even if they share your perspective on most things, they might help you see something new.

1 comment:

Mom said...

What a terrific latte (although I do like the blueberry martini idea -- never had one so maybe it's time I gave it a try)! Happy Birthday to a fantastic daughter, mother, and wife who can do it ALL including writing with these very insightful, interesting and creative "Daily Lattes". To say that I am proud of you is a serious understatement.
Much love, Mom