Tuesday, November 17, 2009

New Shoes

A couple of years ago I took all three of my (then very young) children to REI to get new shoes. At one point a woman who did not work there asked if she could help me at all. She was asking because I think I must have had that crazed, sleep-deprived, mother of three look, and she wasn't sure if I was going to make it out of the store without going completely crazy.

I've come at least a little way since then, random people don't usually ask if they can help me when I'm out shopping. But I'm still a sleep-deprived mother of three, and my kids still need new shoes every now and then. So off we went this afternoon - haircuts and shoe shopping for all. Mary Jane had a fever last night, but is in denial that she was sick at all. She had energy to burn, and she tried to use it all up by running around the small shoe store to try out various new pairs. Mason promises me that he will keep his shoe laces tied at all times on his new Nike's. I actually don't mind spending money on shoes for Charlotte because if she outgrows them too soon, I can save them for Mary Jane.

There was no chance to get a latte before we sat in traffic on the ride back home. Dinner for the last two nights has not involved any veggies, but homework is done and all of the right notes, checks, library books are ready for tomorrow morning (I hope). If Mary Jane sleeps all night, then tomorrow should be a good day to show off new shoes and haircuts for all. Perhaps in the morning I'll have a homemade latte - new shoes don't grow on trees. My latte today is to take a deep breath, and try not to be a crazy person when your out shopping with your kids. Be sure to thank the people who try to help if you are though, and eat something healthy!

No comments: