Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A day in my life...

Years ago, when I only had one or 2 children who were under the age of 3 and who napped each afternoon, I use to wonder what moms did when their kids got older and spent some or most of each day in school. I couldn't imagine having hours each day of childless free-time. Little did I know that back in those days, before Facebook and blogs, homework and after-school activities, I actually had a little more free-time than I do now.

So, for those of you who might wonder what goes on once the kids give up naps and start school, here is what I for one did today: After making breakfast & lunches, getting a happy 5 year old, and sleepy 7 year old off to school, I got a call to substitute at Mary Jane's preschool. Since I was trying to get there early, we, off course, ran late getting out the door - homemade latte (soy mocha) in hand. After a busy 3 hours with 3 & 4 year olds, Mary Jane and I returned home with one of her friends along for a playdate. The next couple of hours were a blur of dress ups, snacks, cleaning up, and pick-ups from the elementary school.

More snacks followed and then the girls and I accompanied Mason to his first karate class as a new blue belt! We arrived home to produce a fairly well-rounded dinner followed by homework, pjs, books, and bed. Now the laundry is folded and the dishwasher is running. I've settled in with my laptop and some bad TV. There is nothing spectacular about my day, but I'm alright with that. My latte today is to take a minute to think review your day, all of your running around is an accomplishment even if you still have some things on your to-do list undone. And if your babies are still little and napping, enjoy it while it lasts!

No comments: