Thursday, April 16, 2009

"Be Patient"

It's something I say at least a dozen times a day, "Be Patient, we'll be there soon, Be patient, I'm fixing your snack now" etc.  Patience isn't easy for kids or for their moms.  About 4 1/2 years ago, people often told me how patient I was as a mother.  Looking back, I realize that things were easy then, Mason was happy as long as he was close to me, Charlotte was always happy, and I had complete control over all of our plans and activites.  They both napped in the afternoons and slept all night without calling me in.  

As things have gotten more busy and chaotic through the years, my patience has worn a little thin.  I'm more tired and have more to worry about than I did a few years ago, but it's time to practice what I preach (once again).  I need to find a way to "be patient" - patient with a 2 year old who is tired and hungry, patient after 12 hours in the car with 3 kids, patient with a house that never seems to be clean, patient during a 2 day blackout, patient with the 5+ pounds I can't seem to lose.  Too many lattes does not really help my patience, but I need at least one to make it through the day.  I am very lucky to have a husband who is patient until I get it each day.  

As I tell Mason, who also struggles with patience, take a deep breath and count to five.  That's not bad advice, maybe I'll give it a try.  

1 comment:

Mom said...

Amy -- You have to be the most patient person I know, as well as the most skilled mother ever. I don't know how you do it, and I am full of admiration for you and for Rob. You are incredible parents, and that shows in your adorable children.

XXXXXX
Mom