Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Saving Money

I'm all for saving money, especially in this economy, but 25+ years as a shopper have taught me a thing or two about bargains.  The hardest lesson for me to learn is that just because it is a great deal doesn't mean I should buy it.  I have fallen into this trap more than once for myself and my children.  I was reminded of it as I sorted everyone's clothes for the warm weather and packed away winter clothes.  The kids and I all seem to own a few things that I bought because they were such a good deal only to find that they didn't match anything in the current wardrobe therefore it was actually a waste of money.

Another lesson is that quality matters.  When I buy something for Charlotte, my assumption is that it should last for Mary Jane as well.  It is worth it to pay a little more for something that will still look great in two years as a hand-me-down.  I have said in the past that every now and then it pays to splurge.  It's not really a bargain if you don't get your money's worth out of it.

Today's latte is to spend carefully.  Think about what you and you kids want versus what you need.  Don't get too caught up in a great bargain, but make sure that you get good value for your money.  Don't make the mistake that I made this morning after sleeping with a sick child for 3 nights, I decided to save a little money and get a regular coffee instead of a latte.  A good latte is always worth a few extra dollars!  

1 comment:

lionel1 said...

"Saving Money" was a very interesting post. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

I run a related blog about Saving money and was recently quoted saying…

Self-control and saving money go hand in hand. However trying to save money without demonstrating self-control over your finances is next to impossible.

Feel free to check out the full blog post on my related blog
over at…

http://www.lionel1.com/newblog/improvement/self-control/

Peace,
Lionel.