Monday, January 25, 2010

The Process of Parenthood

"It's a process." That's an expression that I have used over and over again since I first became a parent, whether referring to sleep patterns, potty training, or eating habits of 5 year olds. What I realized today is that it's all a process - I guess a journey is another way to phrase it. Until we become parents, we have no idea what it will be like or of all of the processes involved.

Today I used my administrative skills to update the calendar with everyone's activities for the coming weeks, my culinary skills to get some "growing foods" into my kids, my finance skills to pay some bills, my (somewhat-limited) housekeeping skills to ensure that my house doesn't look like a tornado struck, and my well-honed negotiating skills to get everyone in bed at a decent hour.

Who knew that this is what my life would evolve into? Before Mason was born, I had never had anything fancier than a vanilla latte from Starbucks. A whole other world was waiting. Luckily, I now know that I can have things like a venti soy mocha as I did today while I visited with 3 other moms over coffee.

Today's latte - enjoy the many processes of parenthood. They are constantly changing, but many depend on each other. Where would our kids be if we had not first taught them how to sleep through the night (usually) and how to use the potty?

No comments: