Friday, January 8, 2010

Don't Worry, Be Happy

I know, it's a catchy title from a somewhat annoying song, but there is some truth in the phrase "Don't Worry, Be Happy." As a parent, it is very hard not to worry about everything. I think I say "be careful" and "stop doing that or you'll get hurt" a few dozen times each day. Rob tells me that I should relax, let them run around the house in socks on slippery floors while holding sticks, but I just can't help myself.

Now I realize that it's not just me. My 2nd grader is also a worrier, he is learning so many new things right now and questioning all of them. He wants to know if Vampires exist, if the earth is going to collide with the sun, if the Halloween candy has gone bad and how do I know that it hasn't? So now I also worry about the fact that he worries so much. It's exhausting!

But my latte today, as you might have guessed is don't worry, be happy. Try to look on the bright side of things. Even though I started the year by putting my husband's Blackberry in the washing machine (not a good idea), I've also managed to channel my inner-Martha Stewart (not an easy thing to do) in order to make a crafty headband holder for the girls' room and a cute wire display for artwork.

Not too long ago I wrote about Happy Thoughts and how writing some down each day might help your outlook on life. I'm giving it a try this year. You can check out my new blog Happy Year Project . I am going to list 3 things which made me happy each day for a year. I'm already finding that some days it's easier than others to come up with a list. There will still be lattes for the new year, too.

No comments: