Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Splurge

That's the latte du jour - splurge! Not on everything, but every now and then moms need to splurge on themselves. Ok, so I know that times are tough and I already splurge on coffee almost daily, but there are a couple of other things that are worth a few extra dollars. Here's the big one that I've found having to do with kids - diaper bags.

After about 2 years of motherhood, I realized that a baby and a diaper bag had really become my only accessories. I spent several years trying to deny the need for a really great bag, but as the babies grew and I needed even more "stuff", I accepted the fact that I need a bag that I could take anywhere. Then I just had to find the right bag. For a while I carried a gardening bag from Target. Lots and lots of exterior pockets make it a good bag to have, but it's not just right. Maybe the key is to have a few bags.

For now, I just placed an order from www.amymichellebags.com (it's co-owned by a classmate of my husband's from high school). I'm hoping that sometime in the next month, we will be a diaper-free household, but it's going to be years (if ever) before I am through carrying a bag whose main contents revolve around snacks, water bottles, wipes, tissues, toys, books, etc. I may as well have a bag that has external cup holders, a waterproof interior, and looks more like a purse than anything I've carried since I became a mother. Maybe it's my first step back into the non-baby world!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Amy,
I am also in need of a big bag--I'm now carrying one tiny purse from AT Loft and then a huge computer bag--would be good to combine. Perhaps a diaper bag would do the trick...
xxxF
ps. speaking of splurge, please respond to my email re: bday gift

Mom said...

I'm so glad that you bought that bag -- good for you!! You definitely deserve it, and I'm sure you will really enjoy it. As you and your sister know, I'm all for splurges, particularly on food. You definitely needed that "grown up" diaper bag. It's a really good splurge.

XXXXX
Mom