Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Crazy Days of May

"May is the new December."  Someone used that line on Facebook last week to describe the very hectic schedule that comes along with having small kids in school just before summer.  It is a schedule that seems to be rivaled only by the weeks leading up to Christmas.  

This is what my day looked like yesterday:  It was one of those days on which by the time I got out of bed, I was already running behind.  I still haven't learned to take my own advice and get things ready the night before.  I had to remember to take about 6 things with us to the preschool for an outdoor arts & crafts day - there was no regular school, parents helped out the whole time.  This was followed by a class picnic (more things to remember).  

All of that was before noon, and then the day got really busy.  Honors day for the 1st grade class followed by a class party/playdate in my backyard.  Yes, I had all 19 kids from Mason's class over to play.  It would not have been possible without the help of other moms, a patient husband, and a jumpy which the class rented.  We survived, house & yard intact, with the help of a plunger and lots of juice boxes.  

Today, aside from the fact that it is unseasonably cold and everyone had to wear jackets to school, the reality of summer is settling in.  I have given money to every room parent around for teacher gifts, and Mary Jane had her last day in the Older 2's class.  By this time next week, I'll be trying to figure out exactly how we are going to keep ourselves entertained without spending too much money on activities.  

Today's latte (an espresso truffle latte for my step-mother who is celebrating a birthday), is to get ready, summer is upon us.  Enjoy the change of pace from the crazy days of May.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Good heavens! How do you do it?? I got exhausted just reading about your schedule yesterday, complete with Mason's entire class at your house for a play date. You are amazing!

With love and admiration,
Mom