Thursday, May 14, 2009

Birthdays

I know alot about birthday parties.  I've been to hundreds and hosted at least a dozen in the last 6 years.  I started a birthday blog at one point, but I haven't found the time to keep it updated so I'll just go back to birthday lattes.  I've just survived the big birthday weekend in our household.  My girls' birthdays are 3 days apart.  This is the 2nd year that we've had parties for them on the same day.  I managed to use many of the tricks I've learned through the years, and I will now share them:

1. Buy food that is already prepared - hot dogs from the Varsity were a big hit with the 3 year old crowd, and quesidillas from Willy's worked for the 5 year olds.

2. Keep it practical - I let the kids at both parties decorate their own cupcakes, it saved me from having to do it, and it served as the obligitory "craft project" for both groups.

3. If you're inviting more than 6 kids (as we did for the 5 year old party), you probably need good weather, great entertainment, and beer for the parents.  We had all 3!  Great entertainment from Brainy Tunes  brought in all the way from California.

4. Know going into it that 3 year olds aren't going to be able to get a pinata open without a little help.

5. It helps to have Grandma around to bake all of the cupcakes for the parties at home and at school the next week.

Here's what I've learned for next year, I'm going to try harder to convince the kids that they don't need presents from their friends.  It's not an easy idea for a child, but I'll keep trying.  My post-party week latte is this - keep it simple!!  Less is more and kids are happy to just run around in some semblance of organized chaos.  On that note, I will be sending Thank You emails this year, I'll chalk it up to living a greener life!

No comments: