Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Graduation Latte

My baby sister graduates from high school tomorrow.  It doesn't seem like my own high school graduation was that long ago.  It was an exciting night - a streaker ran across the field just as the valedictorian was beginning his speech.  Both guys are actually now on my list of friends on Facebook.  I have to take time to say how amazing it has been to watch my sister and her friends grow into amazing women over the last 4 years when we have lived just around the corner from them.  These soon to be graduates restore are proof that, despite what the media may lead you to believe, it is very possible to raise confident, intelligent, well-adjusted, beautiful young women in today's society.

The class of 2009 is off to a very different college experience than mine of the early 90's.  I was probably part of the last wave of students who still used the library instead of the internet to do research.  We didn't have cell phones or DVRs or laptops.  Not everything has changed, and so I'll pass along this lesson learned from my freshman year - ordering pizza at 3AM may sound like a great idea at the time, but, believe me, it's not.

My graduation latte is to take it all in.  I realize that in no time at all, my kids will be having their own graduations and not just from pre-school.  I also know, and I hope my dad knows, that the nest is never really empty.  Congratulations graduates!

1 comment:

Allie said...

Amy--I read this to Anne and Virginia. Thanks so much for the kind of words and great advice. I love you! :)