Tuesday, August 4, 2009

End of summer...

...and what a summer it has been! I realize that I took a break from lattes this summer (and actually switched to decaf), but there is lots that I could say about what I call the Summer of Indecision. I just reread what I wrote about decisions in January. When I wrote that post, I had no idea what sort of decisions Rob & I would make for our family this year. I won't bore anyone with the details, we made a very tough decision and then we unmade it. We're not moving across the country, and the for sale sign is now gone from our front yard. We feel good about our choice, and we're going into the new school year with an increased appreciation for the friends, family, and community around us.

Despite all of the indecision, it has been a great summer simply because my kids are growing up. Of course, I miss having a little one, but, at the same time, I love that my littlest one is now 3. It was a summer without diapers or cribs, and a summer of watching 2 amazing little swimmers while Mary Jane paddled around. As a family, we survived several long car trips (including one with a broken air conditioner), and we enjoyed lots of time together.

Mason & Charlotte start school on Monday. I am more relaxed than I have ever been at the beginning of school. Charlotte is growing up, and she will start kindergarten at the elementary school. It is bittersweet, but she is excited so I am too. I am looking forward to a new routine of school, homework, activities, and Toyota Free Tuesdays. This year I will have a little more time when all of the kids are in school. The plan is that I will cook more and have a cleaner house. I also plan on making lattes part of my routine again so look for more to come.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I've missed your Daily Lattes and am so glad you're back! This one is excellent. WOW -- what a summer for all of you! I can't believe how quickly the kids are growing up. They are really amazing. And I'm so proud of you and Rob for having the courage to unmake a very big decision that didn't feel right in the end.

Much love,
Mom