Sunday, January 11, 2009

Decisions

Motherhood is full of decisions. Some are big like what school to choose and when to potty train. Others, while not as major, are constant - what everyone needs to eat and wear, what is appropriate to watch on TV, which playground to go to after school. I find it exhausting! I spend the whole day making decisions that affect everyone around me, sometimes at the end of the day I literally can't decide what to feed myself. That's when Rob gets us takeout after the kids are asleep.

Of course, I make decisions that don't involve the kids as well. Recently, Rob and I have been making decisions about technology - should we keep our LAN line (no), buy me a laptop (yes), get DirecTV (yes), get a new TV (no)? These were not easy decisions for us. We (especially my husband) tend to over-analyze all of the options. Once again, decision-making has worn me out.

At least I've decided on a latte for the day - feel good about your decision. Whether it's a decision to splurge on new jeans, wear the same clothes every day, order pizza for dinner, or rearrange the furniture. And, of course, going out for another latte is always a good decision.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Hi Amy,
I continue to love the blog even as I make hard decisions about the big and small myself. My new routine includes getting up at 5 to go to the gym---must be a hint of how tiring it is to have kids!
xxxF

Mom said...

You are right on target, Amy. Making a decision is very tough, but feeling good about it is the toughest part of all! And living life with decision-making regret is THE WORST. So your latte today has reinforced my need to give up devoting any time or energy to regrets about past decisions! It's unproductive, and it doesn't change a thing (other than produce guilt, and none of us need more of that). Love you, Mom

Denise C said...

Boy, I cannot tell you how I needed to hear this, my friend! And your mom is right - I need to do what she's doing and not devote energy on regret!