Sunday, December 7, 2008

Family Dinners

One thing I've always felt strongly about as a mother, is the importance of a family dinner. This year, we've started making a real effort to all sit down together and eat the same food so that I'm not cooking one meal for adults and one for kids. In theory, everyone at least tries the food I've fixed before eating a meal of toast and bananas. Maybe one of the reasons we eat out so often is so that everyone can order what they like. Or maybe it's just so that I won't have to cook and clean up.

In our household, we are laying the foundation for pleasant family meals in the future by all coming to the table at the same time. I'm always excited when it works out that we all sit for 15 minutes and talk about our days, but I know that is more the exception than the rule. I seem to spend half of the meal in the bathroom with someone and the other half refilling drinks and cleaning up spills.

My family dinner latte is this, don't expect too much at dinnertime. If everyone, including me, eats at least one veggie and there are no tears, I consider the meal to be a success and we can then move onto play, bath, bed, and blog. Tomorrow is another day with another latte.

3 comments:

Beth said...

In the workshop Ira and I went to recently, they reminded us of a movie that suggested that the perfect family dinner include everyone saying one "high" and one "low" of the day....would be interesting to see how young that could start. I think what you're doing is amazing. We can't even get our dogs to eat at the same time. xxxF

Mom said...

I think that what you are doing about family meals is very admirable and important; and, increasingly, it is a dying trend in our crazy busy world which I find really sad. So good for you! (And, Beth, I like the idea of discussing the "high" and "low" of the day at dinner time -- excellent suggestion.

XXXXX
Mom

David Brown said...

This sounds fun. May I come to a family dinner when I'm home? Also, I believe each family dinner is supposed to include one Wayne Smith story.