Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Goldie - Our New Addition

I felt like a rookie today. 6 1/2 years of motherhood, 2 1/2 years with 3 kids, but today I felt like a rookie. The reason? We got a dog. I figured that Mary Jane is out of diapers so we need a new source of chaos in our house. So now I find myself maneuvering a stroller and a dog around town to pick the girls up from preschool. It's a new experience for me. Goldie, our new dog, is a 2 year old, 30 pound, sheltie mix.

Goldie is filling a new spot in our family. We use to have a dog. She was the baby before we had babies. Now we have as many babies as we can handle - Goldie is our family pet. She is sweet and lovey and she has been sleeping on Mason's bed. Since she is no longer a puppy, she hasn't chewed or made a mess in the house, yet. I think she's great, I just haven't fully bonded with her in the 5 days that she has been with us. I don't think I have the emotional energy right now to let her be another one of my babies like Sadie, our 75 pound shepherd mix was.

Back to feeling like a rookie which happened (don't laugh) while I was getting my daily latte (on ice today, it's 70 degrees here). Although my favorite local coffee spot has a dog bowl and treats on the patio, I felt like I lost control of the dog and the girls for a moment while I was there. So here is my latte to share, give yourself time to adjust to a new situation, whether it's a new pet, baby, job, etc. I am very happy that we now have Goldie, I love that my kids will remember growing up with a dog - Mason only remembers the idea of Sadie. Obviously, I thrive on chaos, I just may need a green tea latte to keep me calm through the holidays with a new dog.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Hi Amy,
Sorry to be so slow on commenting on this one. Don't know how you do it with a BIG (size of Hope and Potus combined) dog, plus 3 kids, plus coffee in tow. Hope you are all excited about christmas and having fun-miss being there. xxF

Mom said...

I have a tough time managing my purse, briefcase and a bag of groceries, so I am in awe of your ability to push a double stroller and walk Goldie while sipping a latte -- amazing! Goldie sounds like a real sweetie. Clearly, she is much lower on your bonding priority list than was Sadie when it was just the two of you.

Much love,
Mom