Saturday, January 24, 2009

Heroes, or not

I have just come to the realization that the chaos of the Holidays is just preparation for the next busy season in our household - birthday party and cold and flu season.  This is a season that seems to run from New Year's until spring break.  As a mother, you may get to experience both the parties and the illnesses first hand.  My latte about the season (or hot tea which is my drink of choice right now) is don't be a hero.  

A sick mother is not really much good to anyone so, while you still need to uphold many of your obligations, it's ok to say no to a few things.  Of course, I could not deprive Mary Jane of a princess birthday party today that came complete with Sleeping Beauty in attendance making balloon animals and painting faces.  However, I did take the liberty of canceling our plans to meet friends out last night because I did not feel up to trying to rally the troops into the car and a restaurant.  

We have another birthday party to attend tomorrow, this one at a jumpy place and I'll take all 3 kids.  I'm giving myself the morning to rest up, have a latte, and pick up a last minute gift for the birthday boy.  Maybe I'll get 2 lattes.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I hope you feel better soon! Feeling lousy is never fun, especially when you have 3 busy little ones to attend to. Sorry I can't be there to help you and make you some of my "cure all" Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup.

Take good care of yourself.

Much love,
Mom