Friday, March 6, 2009

A Cliche Latte

Here's what I've realized, cliches and stereotypes - both often too general and overused - have some basis in truth.  As my children grow (way too quickly for my preference), I find myself using one cliche after another, "They grow up way too fast" is the most common one.  About an hour before my wedding, while I was having pictures taken my grandfather walked into the church and told me that I grew up too fast, I guess we never stop feeling that way.

Watching your children grow up can be liberating as well.  Recently the kids all had the day off from school and we went to the zoo.  It's an outing that we haven't done in a long time.  In fact, while we were there I realized that it was our first stroller-free zoo trip.  I enjoyed the freedom of watching everyone have fun without having to keep track of a stroller.  That same weekend we went to the North Georgia mountains for 2 nights, and traveling with kids has gotten so much easier now that we don't have to worry about cribs and diapers.

Still, I feel a little sad when I see a tiny baby and realize that I'm done with those days.  I know this is very cliche, but my latte today is to cherish every moment because they grow up way too fast.  Before you know it, they'll be ordering a latte with you!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Actually, the "adult children" time of life when they order a latte (or glass of wine) with you is a very special and happy time. Trust me -- I know!

Love you,
Mom