Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Imagination

As an adult, I realize that I don't imagine things as much as I daydream about what could be - things like having a full time chef, housekeeper, secretary, and personal trainer.  When we bought our house 4 years ago, I suppose that Rob and I imagined the potential for the original 1954 kitchen and aqua blue walls, ceiling, and carpet.  We're still working on it.

For my kids, imagination has a whole different meaning.  I always wished we had a level backyard with a big swing set and lots of toys for the kids.  Since spring weather has arrived in Atlanta, the kids are having a blast playing in our very overgrown backyard with their tree house, the woods, and lots of imagination.  Mason (the leader, of course) makes secret clubs everywhere he can find - under the porch, under the basement stairs, and, now, in the woods behind our house.  He has realized that he needs to make a few concessions to get his sisters' participation in his games so he lets them be princesses.  Watching my kids play in the woods, I realize that they may each be imagining a different scenario as they run around and collect rocks and sticks, but they are all imagining something fun.  Not once have they stopped and said "I wish we had some other yard toys."

Today's latte is one that isn't easy for most adults, but here goes - stop daydreaming, wishing, or wondering what if, use your imagination and have some fun with or without kids.

3 comments:

Mom said...

This may be my most favorite latte yet since I really believe that this is how kids should play; and your kids are so good at it! Not only does it stimulate their wonderful imaginations, but I think they have a lot more fun making up their own games in the woods than playing with toys that some adult invented for them.

XXXXX
Mom

Beth said...

Hi Amy,
Sorry to be so very AWOL for so long. Still no home internet connection for me but at least an apt with a bed, a plate, and a very nice view. Furniture, computer, tv, etc to follow. Lots of imagination required! Just scrolled through recent weeks and they are all great but this one is a fave. Also love the acronym TFT. xxxB

Virginia Janet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.