Monday, March 9, 2009

A Lost Hour

In the spring of 2002, Rob & I went out to breakfast one Sunday morning before our weekly trip to Lowe's.  I was pregnant with our first child and traveling a bunch for work, and Rob was spending all of his spare time finishing the basement of our Denver home before our new arrival in July.  (Sidenote - my water actually broke on the way to one of our trips to Lowe's a couple of months later!)  Anyway, we were sitting at breakfast mapping out our day and I realized that with the time change, I really felt like I had lost the hour when I had to "spring forward".  Now, 7 years and 3 kids later, I still haven't gotten it back.

The longer days are great.  After last weeks snow, the weather is cooperating nicely with 70+ degrees.  The Indigo Girls were right when they said "There's someting 'bout the southland in the springtime..."  But where is my lost hour?  

This morning I woke up (in Mason's bed where I fell asleep at 5:30AM when he called me in), and I realized that it was 7:25.  Waking up with the sun doesn't really work this week.  After a mad dash to get a bleary eyed boy and his daddy out the door by 7:50, I realized that the girls needed to go to the doctor for strep tests.  No mommy & me yoga today.  One positive test (Mary Jane) later, I was in a fog because it was 11:30 and I had not had any lattes.  1 1/2 hours later after chick-fil-a, latte, and waiting around, we came home with our medicine.  

Now we're having a quick break before we go, sickness and all, to Mason's karate class.  Today I'm offering a tough-love latte - learn to deal with it.  Accept the reality that there just might not be enough hours in the day.  Luckily going out for coffee is a great way to pass the time while you wait for medicine from the pharmacy!

1 comment:

Lauren Pearse said...

It sounds like it was just Monday all day long for you! At least the views of spring in Atlanta were pretty along the way. And I agree with you- spring forward is just a cruel joke on those of us who already operate wtih too few hours in the day!