Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Growing Up

Yes, yes, my kids are growing up - way too fast for my preference.  Mason has 2 loose teeth and I just dropped off Charlotte's kindergarten registration for the fall.  What I've really been thinking about today is the fact that moms grow up, too.  On a very non-TFT (rain, swim lessons, returning a pair of shoes), I was going to take a few minutes to catch up with a few of my mommy friends.  That's when I realized that while my kids have been busy growing, taking on new activities, and entering new stages in life, so have my friends.

When Mason was 1 1/2, he wasn't in school and Charlotte was on the way.  My mommy friends were my lifeline, women I saw or talked to daily for sanity checks about feeding, pregnancy, nap schedules, etc.  We went to Gymboree classes, playgroups, and the zoo together regularly.  I still miss those moms since I had to say goodbye to them when I left Denver for Atlanta.  It shouldn't be a surprise that my latte habit (decaf back then) started around that time.  

Now that the kids are in school more, and most of my friends are done having babies (I think), they're spending time on other things - jobs, PTA, working out, etc.  If it ever stops raining around here, I'm sure we'll plan trips to the park if anyone has time.  My latte today is to have a latte with some friends.  I've reached the point in mommyhood where I don't spend as much time with other moms, but it is still important to my sanity that I make time for my girlfriends.

No comments: