Thursday, November 20, 2008

Decorating

If you've been to my house, you are probably thinking that decorating is not my strong-point, and, yet, you feel compelled to keep reading just out of curiosity. Here's what I've learned, you might spend lots of time, money, and nesting-energy creating the perfect nursery for your newborn. Everything is in its place, and it looks like it could be in a Pottery Barn Kids catalog. Then the baby comes along. I don't think that anything in my house, or life, has been in its place since!

My latte about decorating is, like with many things about kids, be flexible. Swings and exersaucers are soon replaced by dolls, dress-ups, legos, and bakugans. New toys and obsessions may require new storage and playspace. We recently brought Mason's old train table up from the basement to use as a doll house table in the space left available by the removal of Mary Jane's crib from her room. One easy and inexpensive decorating idea is to stencil something on a wall. Mason & I had a great time making his room into a pirate room. Another idea is to take some good art pieces that your child brings home and put them in a frame instead of on the refrigerator or in a folder.

Just know that needs and preferences may soon change, and so new decor will become necessary. Even Starbucks redecorates every now and then!

1 comment:

Beth said...

what in the heck is a backugan (sp?) I'm impressed by your stencilling. I haven't done any decorating--haven't even really hung pics up yet after being here almost 2 years. I always think your place looks really cute with a nice sense of style. xxF