Friday, October 10, 2008

Culture

As a mother of young kids, it's easy to get caught up in the lives of children so that the biggest cultural event in your life is the opening of the Jim Henson Muppets exhibit at the Atlanta History Center (I'm really looking forward to that!) or a week of all new episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I spend 90% of my time in mom mode, and I have the uniform of capris, T-shirt, running shoes and ponytail to go along with it.

Here's my latte today though: Do something cultural that doesn't involve the kids. Go to a museum, see a classic film, go to the theater, etc. This is not a tip I would have thought of a week ago, but I've had a big few days culturally. On Tuesday night we watched The Graduate (Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft) which Rob & I had never seen. It's really good, I guess that's why it's now a classic. It was a nice break from the over-the-top everything movies of today. Then my big cultural showing of the week was really last night. My step-mother's mother had an extra ticket to see the Broadway play Wicked at the Fox theater. It was amazing, and I feel great today just because I had that experience of going to it.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Good for you! I still haven't seen "Wicked", but I understand it's credible. Your blog is both enjoyable and inspiring. Keep up the excellent work! I look forward to it every day. Do your Turner cousins and your Aunt Linda know about it? If not, let me know; and I will spread the word.

Happy Friday! Much love, Mom

Mom said...

I meant to say that I understand that Wicked in incredible! Sorry about the typo.

Beth said...

Hi Amy,
Excellent latte du jour. Wicked is coming our way soon so I'll get tix! I also think MIC--see you real soon--qualifies as culture on some level (not to mention the new 90210---come on, I know your watchin'). Thanks for the daily inspiration. It is making a huge difference in my day--look forward to it every pm.
Love,
F

David Brown said...

Great blog, Amy! I have a culture recommendation for the entire family. Or maybe just you and Charlotte. Yesterday, Cathy and I were the oldest non-child toting people at the Tour of Gymnastics Superstars, starring Shannon Miller, Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson. It featured lots of exciting tumbling, even more screaming 4-12 year-old girls, and lots and lots of bright pink lights. And it comes to Phillips Arena next Friday! Can't wait to see you guys at Thanksgiving.
Love,
Uncle D