Monday, October 20, 2008

Sentimental Attire

When Mason curls up in the den to watch TV, he always uses the same quilt. My mother made the quilt over 20 years ago using fabric from mine and my sisters old dresses. When she gave the quilt to me, I thought it was very sweet and more than a little nostalgic to have proof of all of the things we wore in the mid-70's. Now I have a new appreciation for that quilt. As a mother, sometimes it's really hard to let go of a little dress or T-shirt that has so many memories attached to it.

We are finally having beautiful cooler fall weather here so this morning I spent some time packing away some summer clothes. Charlotte's are easy since if they don't fit her next spring, I'll give them to Mary Jane. But what about the clothes that don't fit anyone? Some I'll consign or give away (consignment will be a blog all its own), but some clothes, like the crib, I'm just not ready to let go of. So here's today's latte - pack them away. If you have the space, it's ok to hold onto them for a little while longer. In a year, you might be ready to give them away, make a quilt out of them, or transfer them to a bigger box with a new batch of clothes containing new memories.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Hi Amy,
Very sweet today. Hope you can pack up the clothes without too many tears. And I love the pedi-pics--adorable.
xxxF

Mom said...

I'm so glad that Mason enjoys that quilt. I love knowing that it is being used. Every time I see it in your den, lots of memories come flooding back based on those little patches of fabric. You and your sister were the original super cuties!

Much love,
Mom

Rob said...

Very sweet. I'll get you a bigger storage box.